Ah, the pumpkin spice latte. Throw in a pair of UGG Boots and you have the quintessential image of fall. But getting your PSL fix can cost you. A grande version of the drink costs about $5 at Starbucks. If you order a few every week, that can add up fast.
You can save yourself some money and discover a few new Fredericksburg shops along the way by making your own pumpkin spice latte with this easy recipe.
The good thing about most of these ingredients is that you can buy them in bulk, so once you stock up, you’ll be set for the season.
- 1 cup milk Whole milk gives the best flavor, but you can switch to skim if you’re counting cals
- 2 tablespoons pure pumpkin purée
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice Learn how to make your own below
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 shots of espresso or 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- Sweetened whipping cream
Make Your Own Pumpkin Pie Spice
If you can’t get your hands on a pre-made pumpkin pie spice, or if you’d just rather make your own, check out this recipe for an easy homemade version.
- 3 tbs ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1.5 tsp ground allspice
- 1.5 tsp ground cloves
Where to Buy the Spices
To make the best coffee concoction, you need the freshest ingredients. Don’t settle for the dried-out supermarket version. These local spice shops offer top-notch spices at a better price.
Pennsylvania Dutch Tea & Spice Company
The Pennsylvania Dutch Tea & Spice Company is known for having hard-to-find spices. Spices are available in loose form, so you can get as much or as little as you want. Try reusing empty spice bottles by filling them up with a newer, fresher version from PA Spice Company. As the name implies, this shop also carries an impressive selection of loose teas. These aren’t your average sweet tea bags. The gourmet teas incorporate exotic blends of herbs, flowers, leaves, and spices. Try one hot as a pick-me-up during the cold season.
Taste Oil Vinegar Spice
The Fredericksburg location of Taste Oil Vinegar Spice has an array of organically-sourced herbs and spices from around the world. Here you can find some of the spices you need for a homemade pumpkin spice latte. It’s also worth checking out their selection of fine salt blends, peppercorns, balsamic vinegar, and olive oils. These spices and dressings are unlike anything you’ll find at the grocery store. Bring out new flavors in a dish with additions such as Aged Lavender Balsamic or Blood Orange Oil.
How to Make A Pumpkin Spice Latte
Now that you’re set on ingredients, it’s time to whip up a latte. Here’s how it’s done.
- Make the milk base. Combine milk, pumpkin purée, vanilla, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat it up. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, make a hole for venting, and microwave 1–2 minutes, or until milk is hot.
- Froth it. Whisk the milk vigorously to create a foam, about 30 secs. Alternatively, you can use a milk frother if you have one.
- Prepare the coffee. If you have an espresso machine, now’s the time to pull a double shot. Otherwise, use 1/4 cup of a strong coffee brew.
- Prepare and serve. Add the coffee to your serving mug, then the milk base. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.
There you have it! It’s easy to make a pumpkin spice latte at a fraction of the coffee house cost. Another good option for saving money is to visit Mazda of Fredericksburg. You’ll find the best deals on the biggest selection of Mazdas. Come by for a visit, and test drive a new model today!